- Piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto saxophone
- E-flat clarinet, clarinet, bass clarinet
- Piccolo, flute, oboe, English horn, clarinet, bass clarinet, tenor saxophone, baritone saxophone
- Piccolo, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet, soprano saxophone, bass saxophone
West Side Story
Leave a comment
Anyone know how much bass clarinet is in book 4?
Not that much.
I suggest you consult the full score of the original orchestration published by Boosey & Hawkes to remember Reed IV – I have played this part.
There’s a lot of Bass Sax, which doesn’t sit that well on Bass Clarinet IMHO as there’s much writing near the break. Also changes from Bass sax to high Piccolo stretches the chops somewhat but the part is mostly flute. Bass sax is essential.
Reed IV Bass Clarinet in:
3) Something’s Coming (important part – some Flt)
8b) Under Dialogue
11) The Rumble (1 piccolo note at the end!)
It’s a blast of a part.
MTI is now renting a School Edition of WSS. The reed book breakdown is the same as this, but may not be exactly the same orchestration. I know they cut a dance break in America. For some reason Reed 1 for the school edition is not listed on the MTI website, but I have the book at the moment and it has the same instruments as listed here.
Added school edition as a new listing. Thanks!